House Speaker John Boehner yanked the bill to provide $60 billion in emergency aid to states ravaged by Hurricane Sandy to get back at a top lieutenant who defied him over the Fiscal Cliff fix, Congressional sources said Wednesday.
Boehner was angry, the sources said, when Majority Leader Eric Cantor led the revolt Tuesday by conservative House Republicans against the Fiscal Cliff compromise that wound up being passed later in the day, the sources said.
So rather than let Cantor bring the Sandy aid bill he had hammered out with New York and New Jersey lawmakers to the floor for a vote, Boehner (R-Ohio) pulled rank and tabled it - likely killing the aid package for the current session of Congress, which ends Thursday.
Boehner’s decision to pull the bill triggered outrage Wednesday from both Republicans and Democrats in New York and other states devastated by Sandy. They said his decision forces tens of thousands of storm victims to wait even longer for help.
His voice shaking, Rep. Pete King, a Long Island Republican, took to the floor of the House Wednesday morning to launch an extrordinary attack against Boehner, his own political leader.
King called it a “cruel knife in the back” to New York and New Jersey.
Gov. Cuomo, a Democrat, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican, issued a joint statement calling the House’s inaction a “dereliction of duty.”
And at a Manhattan press conference, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said, “Speaker Boehner pulled out the rug from us at the last minute.” He added, “This failure to get relief now could be called the Boehner betrayal.”"
The New York Daily News, “Sources: House Speaker Yanked $60 Billion In Sandy Aid Out of Spite.”
The most childish man in modern American politics.
- vwcg likes this
- internetboys reblogged this from macaroni-overlord
- macaroni-overlord reblogged this from jwisser
- econtacted likes this
- surplustorequirements reblogged this from observer31
- surplustorequirements likes this
- impededstream reblogged this from wilwheaton
- azvee reblogged this from cheskasmagicshire
- uglycunt likes this
- politiciansoc reblogged this from wilwheaton
- thecoolestbitch2013 reblogged this from followtheflutterbies
- marcelino69 likes this
- sinnerboyblues likes this
- gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey reblogged this from wilwheaton
- hereforunique likes this
- jen-the-pariah reblogged this from wilwheaton
- boodlesandtonicplz reblogged this from wilwheaton
- kkkkai reblogged this from wilwheaton
- lol-rusco reblogged this from flatbear
- bluecoyotemagena reblogged this from ellava
- bat-cheva reblogged this from brightfell
- bat-cheva likes this
- sparrowfalling likes this
- meisterj reblogged this from wilwheaton
- thebrownwizard likes this
- iamdeathoftheendless reblogged this from c-d-e
- c-d-e reblogged this from wilwheaton
- liberalbydefault reblogged this from jessimuhka
- makinggeeklookgood reblogged this from wilwheaton
- girlvswhale likes this
- troublicious reblogged this from apocalypsedave
- troublicious likes this
- luckykeelin reblogged this from wilwheaton
- spoonfullofspock reblogged this from wilwheaton
- waycoolhacky reblogged this from wilwheaton
- applejosh23 likes this
- honeybeeshepherd likes this
- bdbdb reblogged this from wilwheaton
- bdbdb likes this
- spacecadet371 reblogged this from wilwheaton
- zaqster likes this
- underwaterrocks reblogged this from wilwheaton
- underwaterrocks likes this
- yeahbutmedschool reblogged this from wilwheaton
- kickair8p reblogged this from wilwheaton
- touchyarmadillo reblogged this from wilwheaton
- basichumanrights reblogged this from inothernews
- nolivingunderstarlight reblogged this from wilwheaton
- why-not-reblog-256 reblogged this from wilwheaton