TRIGGER WARNING-Talk of suicide & suicidal ideation.
Since there are now apparently quite a few people that are wondering how ‘crazy’ people that snap & do very, very violent things are allowed to walk around among the rest of society, there is a reason why. Mental healthcare in this country sucks. SUCKS.
In emergency rooms & crisis centers all over the country, people that are KNOWN to be either suicidal or completely psychotic are sent home. Some are told to come back ‘once they do something’. You can sit there & beg them to please keep you because you know it is not safe for you to be out in the world at that moment, & they’ll send you packing with what equates to a pat on the head. This is especially true for people without health insurance.
If you leave the ER, go to the parking lot, down a few bottles of pills & then walk back inside to tell them that you have overdosed, the people that not half an hour ago sent you away because you weren’t ‘sick’ enough for them to think they should keep you suddenly decide that you may just be serious about wanting to die.
This country does things for people in mental health crisis in a reactionary manner. We’re doing it backwards. Our jails are full of mentally ill people that are there because there is nowhere else to put them. There aren’t ‘enough beds’ in most psych wards in this country. There are counties that don’t even have a psych ward, so being committed requires travel of an hour or more. Psychotropic drugs are very, very expensive, & sometimes the only way you can get those drugs is on a ward/in the ER. Something that should be simple-going to see a psychologist-take 1974631 hoops to jump through before you can see one.
Gathering up the bravery to ask for help in times of mental health crisis is very, very difficult, & when you’re told to come back once you’ve actually attempted suicide or become actively homicidal, it kinda defeats the purpose of reaching out for medical mental healthcare help in the first place.
This. This this this this this.
- mooncoffee reblogged this from missgingerlee and added:
- fashionbadger likes this
- swingmetosleep reblogged this from jaynemmrn
- eamemebase reblogged this from illsevenyournine
- thatbitchgaylor reblogged this from macaroni-overlord and added:
- mellydraws likes this
- illusionsofmymind likes this
- paronomaniac reblogged this from macaroni-overlord
- ultraviole-nt reblogged this from macaroni-overlord
- 1hundred-sleeplessnights likes this
- jblatherings likes this
- sirisles likes this
- illsevenyournine reblogged this from thelovelyphones
- illsevenyournine likes this
- thelovelyphones reblogged this from macaroni-overlord
- crymsun likes this
- qt-lil-femme likes this
- macaroni-overlord reblogged this from jwisser
- snail-bby reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- masonraburn likes this
- skipplayrepeat reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- allthethings07 likes this
- hopeforabrightday likes this
- texarshead reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- texarshead likes this
- chemical-lycalm likes this
- i-thecollector reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- live-from-purgatorio likes this
- pleaseunfollowmeimbeggingyou reblogged this from j-0hn
- pleaseunfollowmeimbeggingyou likes this
- nephilimdread likes this
- alice-dorothy-virginia likes this
- mydocs reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president and added:
- supersandys-space said: yasssssssssssssssssss
- supersandys-space likes this
- missgingerlee likes this
- drunkibum reblogged this from onedaymblaq
- thecommonlibrarian reblogged this from xanori and added:
- onedaymblaq reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- j-0hn reblogged this from boydaisy
- seanmonster likes this
- tulipsanddandelions likes this
- kaiamar likes this
- perksofbeingamoonflower reblogged this from so--sudden
- so--sudden reblogged this from warmwolves
- im-theglasspassenger likes this
- bobmuffins likes this
- cocktailskindof likes this
- teababe27 reblogged this from jackpowerx and added:
- teababe27 likes this